September 1, 2010

Among The Full Moon Chaos.

Last week was less than normal. I’m blaming the full moon…

I should have known when the week started with the power outage, it would be a good time to hide.

All original plans went out the window. While it was chaotic, I still somehow made time to hang out with Lucy goose. She and her duck friends had been rooting about in the garden so she was dirty… but I scooped her up, anyway, and noticed for the first time, just how blue her eyes are.


Lester posed for a quick shot as well... He's a sweet, gentle, big boy.


B had a rough week… We thoroughly enjoyed hanging out on Wednesday, though. She climbed trees.

Found the first red leaf of the year. We were both excited by that little find.

And discovered the joy of hatching chicks. When I handed her the cheeping egg, her eyes lit up. She kept repeating “I hear it, Meredith! I hear it! And I can feel it, too!” It tapped, cheeped and totally made her day.

Thursday, she was less than normal… but I chalked it up to her rough week and the new schedule. She got her requested root beer float from a local little shop, though. I’d never been to the there but I’ll definitely return. It was very retro and cute.

When B left, her chicks really got to work in hatching… I wish she had seen this. I’ll always be amazed, no matter how many times I’ve witnessed chicks hatching. This little one was wide-eyed and ready to see the world.

By that night, B was a sick girl. Her mom and dad had to work, no matter what, the following day. From 5:30 am until 10:30 am, I was snuggled on the couch with a sick girly. She spiked another fever and her mom did successfully get out of work to take her to her pediatrician. Poor babe was burning up, it was the highest fever I’ve ever encountered in a little person. She was out of it and completely broke my heart.

Seeing as she left so quickly on Thursday and then, she was so sick on Friday, she hasn’t met her chicks yet. But they’re mighty cute. I’ve sent her pictures to see… she asked to name them and I’m a little terrified of what she has up her sleeve. But I told her she could.

Rosemary is a proud mama hen. 5 chicks. 3 black chicks and 2 brown striped chicks. Fairly certain the black chicks are Barred Rock mix chicks.

I discovered a golden orb spider has made her home above the hen house door… I was pleased to see her. I’ve always heard them referred to as “writing spiders” because of the cool designs they make in their webs. A real life Charlotte.

After my week, Saturday was spent coming back down to earth and chilling.

Found a patch of wildflowers at the edge of the woods.


Watched the ducks, chickens, and Lucy goose meander around…



And find some unknown treasure among the tall grass that had them all clucking, quacking and honking with glee.

Took the chicks from Rosemary long enough for pictures so B could “meet” them. I will never tire of photographing chicks. So cute.


Ended the day by picking a bouquet of zinnias for my grandmother. She placed them in her window, adding to the magic of that spot. Her picture of her best friend, a ring lying on the windowsill, her little rooster and hen and the view out that window… wow. There is much life in that spot.

As for B, she is finally on the road to recovery after a rough weekend.

And after the chaos of last week, I have a lot of catching up to do in terms of projects. One being the autumn garden… and another little project that you’ll just have to wait to see.

No comments: