August 26, 2010

When The Lights Go Out.

There was quite a long power outage on Monday... From 10:15 until 3:30 am and then, it went out again at 4:45 am. It returned sometime around 6:30. Not sure as I wasn't home. Why?

Well, my grandmother and cousin had a grand idea. When I called them at 5:00 am, they were just as miserable as me. No sleep due to lack of A/C and other issues. I had attempted sleep between 1 and 3 am... I snoozed a bit but I woke up so sweaty, it was just misery.

Not to mention, my dogs were panting loudly and just generally unhappy.

But back to the grand idea... My grandmother asked if I'd like to go to McDonald's for breakfast. I initially thought "Are you nuts?!" but then, I figured "what the hell?!" and said sure. So, at 5:15 am, I climbed into my cousin's car in my pajamas with a lighter that had refused to extinguish until I had dunked it in water and my keys. I know, why did I bring the lighter? Because I am paranoid, that's why.

I'm not a morning person. At all. I may be awake at 5:00 am but I'm not out of the house at that time ever. But somehow, we'd made the night from hell into a rather pleasant, funny morning.


I came home and consumed food that I rarely eat... Those hotcakes tasted like dessert, not breakfast. They sent 5 little tubs of butter. Who needs 5 butters?! I admit, it was sinfully yum. Just, not something I plan to do again for a while! I hadn't had hotcakes from McD's since I was 10 or so.


You'll notice the lighter and then, on my key chain, the round pink thing was my savior that night. It's a small flashlight and when the power went out initially, I grabbed my keys from the hook so I could at least see. Thank goodness, for once I had put the keys where they go.

Oh, and when the power went out the second time, I was on the porch, barefoot, waiting for the dogs to come inside from their last outing... I threw out a few choice words and fumbled my way back to the door, dogs following close behind. Note to self - keep a flashlight nearby, even if the power has returned!

While it wasn't the most pleasant night of my life, the 3 of us, in our pajamas, going to buy crap food will always be a favorite memory.

For the record, 1/3 of the county was without power that night/morning. Apparently, a sub-station had something happen to it.

No comments: