August 15, 2010

I need an outlet for my ramblings about life with a menagerie of beasts, my gardening adventures, living in a small town and such. So, I’m joining the world of blogging, finally.

Sadly, I’m starting my blog when my lovely garden seems to be dying out. The butterbeans, cucumbers and a few tomatoes are still holding on… But everything else stopped producing and what wasn’t toxic, was tossed in for the goats to nibble on. I’ve been eyeing my herb garden and pondering transferring the basil, dill and parsley into pots to bring inside for the winter. Worth a try, frost will kill them anyway.

I’m also tossing around the idea of an autumn garden. I’ve never tried anything beyond a summer garden… but I just can’t seem to let go of the idea of having my hands in the dirt during my favorite season. We shall see, I need to see what could work for that. Other than cabbage and possibly spinach. Oh, and the Southern staple… that, although I was raised in the south, I just cannot bring myself to love. Turnip greens. I may plant them even though I don’t care for them. If only to feed the goats and chickens as a treat.


In other news, my mom and I harvested a bushel of ornamental gourds from her vines today… Now, if they can last until October/November for decorating purposes. One can only hope.

No comments: