September 20, 2010

The Autumn Ritual.

The world has taken on a golden hue… And the leaves haven’t even begun to change.
There’s something different in the light of the sun.

One evening, my mom and I spotted the apple tree at the edge of the forest, heavy with fruit. We grabbed a basket plus her dog and headed down the hill with minimal hope of filling it.

In between dodging the poison oak and thorns, we successfully filled the basket to the point of overflowing.

Pooh was pleased with our haul.

And I was above and beyond pleased. Unsprayed, yummy apples! Grown in my own backyard, no less. Sure, they aren’t beautiful, blemish-free, waxy red apples. But the crispness and taste make you soon forget the not so perfect peel.

So, I decided to set about my “autumn ritual” and make apple butter with my 5 lbs. of apples.

First, I peeled… and peeled. If not for this handy, little gadget, it would’ve been a lot harder and slower.

Highly recommend one of these peelers to anyone who makes apple butter, apple sauce or dried apple chips.

Straight off the peeler… Cored, peeled and sliced into a cool spiral.

Abby, waiting and hoping I drop a bite of apple in the floor.

Waste nothing… The peels, cores and bad apples go to the chickens and goats.

I pull the spiral apart into separate pieces and toss them all in the crock pot.

Add 2 cups sugar, 2 tablespoons of apple pie spice and 1 ½ tablespoons of cinnamon.

Pop on the lid, set on high and enjoy the wonderful smell that is distinctly that of autumn that will fill your house for the next 6 hours, give or take. At about the 4 hour mark, stir to break up any stubborn apple chunks… And sneak a bite while you’re at it. Also a good time to tweak it if you want it spicier.


And here, you have the finished product. It tastes divine. On toast, waffles… Anything really. I’ve been slathering it on almost everything.

I made 5 pints in all. I put it in sterilized jars while piping hot so it is sealed/canned… but you can freeze it. I just lack space in the freezer.

So, autumn ritual completed, I’m now ready to bail out the straw, pumpkins and scarecrows. If only I had grown pumpkins this year. But at least I have the ornamental gourds my mom grew. Next year, pumpkins.

No comments: