September 15, 2010

The Event Of The Year.

That time of year has rolled around. When Main Street fills with tents containing different wares and crafts; colorful kiddie rides; the smells of all different foods; The popping sound of the ice cream machine, music, people laughing and talking and occasionally, the train chugging through town, sounding it's whistle to the delight of the little ones. Most of all, what seems to be every resident and then some, fill that little street.


The South Carolina Apple Festival… An event I look forward to year to year.

The food - Oh, the glorious, artery clogging, deep fried goodness. Or should I say, badness.

This year, I braved the deep fried Oreos. It was ooey, gooey and barely tasted like an Oreo after its dip in batter and swim in oil. But it was so delicious. I could’ve eaten all 5 of them.


What is a festival without funnel cake?

And let us not forget the bloomin’ onion and mushrooms.



I didn’t consume this all on my own. Just for the record.


The parade – It is exactly what a small town parade should be.

Tractors…


Horses…

And, this year, politicians;

A replica of the Andy Griffith Sheriff’s car which seemed fitting for a very Mayberry-esque town like this.

and for some strange reason, endless fire trucks.

I really take the time to appreciate and soak in my town during the festival... this year was a bit more rushed than previous years. But I still see why I love it. And at times, why I really don't.

I do wish I had taken things a little slower… but truthfully, I just ran out of time. I’m a slow pace, soak it all in, breathe it and feel it kind of girl. But lately, I seem to get caught up in the rush of life.

But I soaked in just enough to hold me over until next year. Then maybe, I will slow down again to take in this small town and why, for some reason, it has such a hold on me.

No comments: